Losing weight is a life changing experience and will enable you
to experience improved physical and mental well being.
Being overweight is a major cause of physical problems and illnesses
such as Hypetension, heart disease, diabetes and kidney disease
and has resulted in millions of people around the world constantly
trying to reduce and control their weight. The solution essentially
is to reduce the intake of food and to increase activity levels.
Laparoscopic Gastric Banding is one of the more popular operations
to help Morbidly Obese patients lose weight. Statistically, 30-50
percent of excess weight can be lost in the two years after the
operation, provided that recommended dietary modifications are
The gastric band is a silicone band that is placed around part
of your stomach to reduce its capacity. This creates a smaller
pouch at the top, which takes less food to make you feel full.
The food then passes slowly through the opening left by the band
into the lower part of your stomach and continues on as normal.
Who Benefits from Adjustable Gastric Banding
Gastric Banding, Lap-Band or Swedish Band is not for everyone.
It may be indicated in patients who meet specific criteria and
who do not want, or are not candidates for Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
Surgery at this time. Our surgeons can help you decide if your
problem is suitable for Gastric Banding or other procedure.
You may be eligible for Lap-Band outpatient surgery if :
- Your BMI is over 40 without complication
- Your BMI is over 35
- You have been overweight for more than five years
- Your serious weight-loss attempts have only had short-term success
- You are not suffering from any other disease that my have caused your obesity
- You are prepared to make substantial changes in your eating habits and lifestyle
- You are willing to continue being monitored by the specialist currently treating you
- You do not drink excessive amounts of alcohol
Gastric Banding procedure --> minimally invasive procedure
The gastric lap band is inserted laparoscopically, through five
or six small incisions in a minimally invasive procedure. The
focus on proven, minimally-invasive procedures means that you
will enjoy a faster recovery. The gastric band uses remarkable
technology where by a small device is fitted under the skin during
surgery that enables the doctor to adjust the band's diameter.
This means the amount of energy your body gets from the food you
eat versus the fat stored in your body can be adjusted according
to your health needs.
The insertion of the band and the control device are done under
general anaesthetic and therefore you will usually be in hospital
Recovery in Tunisia: 5 days
Stay in Tunisia: 8 days (7 nighs)
The Band Adjustments
Adjustments to the gastric band are made by injecting fluid through
a very small tube which has a special button-like reservoir just
under your skin. It can be inflated and deflated in this way,
until the right level of restriction is established. This will
restrict the amount of food you can eat further, and make you
feel fuller for longer.
You should not return to Tunisia for band adjustments and support.
There are now several areas that will perform band adjustments
for those who have had surgery overseas.
The lap-banding advantages :
- Least invasive surgical option
- No intestinal re-routing
- No cutting or stapling of the stomach wall or bowel
- Small incisions and minimal scarring
- Reduced patient pain, length of hospital stay and recovery period
- Allows individualized degree of restriction for ideal rate of weight-loss
- Adjustments performed without additional surgery
- Supports pregnancy by allowing stomach outlet size to be opened to accommodate increased nutritional needs
- Only surgical option designed to help maintain long-term weight loss
- Removable at any time
- Stomach and other anatomy are generally restored to their original forms and functions
Effective Long-Term Weight Loss
- More than 250,000 LAP-BAND® System procedures performed worldwide
- Standard of care for hundreds of surgeons around the world Academic publications with up to 10 years of follow-up
here for a free consultation
All information put forward is strictly confidential. The pre-consultation
is free of charge.